Saturday, August 14, 2010

Williamsburg, Va - American Heritage RV Park

With two days of on again, off again showers, we decided to head to Williamsburg, Va where there was no threat of rain.  The first part of the excursion was stress free until we got to Rt. 95.  The traffic was heavy like it tends to always be, so we decided to get off the Rt. 95 parking lot and take Rt. 30.  That was the best decision we made since only a few miles down the road, I started to have a real hard time shifting.  It was very hard to get into any gear.  I crested this knoll and went to downshift and it would not go.  With my heart beating a little faster than normal I crept off to the side of the road and low and behold 100 yards ahead was a automotive garage that was open!  Coasting in, my father (thank goodness he was with me) popped the hood and noticed it was completely out of fluid for the clutch.  Okeedokee, we just meander over to the handy dandy garage that so happened to be open on a Saturday and get the brake fluid we need.  Simple right?  We fill the resevoir and away we go.  With only about another hours drive to our next campground, the clutch acts a little funny but my Dad reassures me it will bleed itself, to a point, as we drive along.  Alrighty then, there is a little bit of a smile coming from the corner of my mouth by now.  Then all of a sudden the same problem occurs.  I cannot get it to downshift, upshift, any shift!  Once again as luck would have it our exit was just ahead and we made it to our destination to Williamsburg, Va.

We found our lovely site that with a concrete pad, that was brand new and and totally level.  Now this is a first that I don't have to put out any levelers!   We unload & set up and I decided to head to the camp store to get hotdogs for this evenings dinner.   With the earlier fiasco we forgot to stop for food.  As I enter the store I notice they do not have any perishables, whatsoever!  What!  You mean you don't even have hotdogs?  Ugh!  Tired and hungry, I crawl back to the campground and announce that I am off on my bicycle to search for hot dogs.  Pedaling the highways and praying I don't get run over I finally find a 7 eleven.  Oh Thank Heaven!

Back at the camp my father starts a fire and it burns just long enough to cook our hot diggity dogs.  Whew!  It was quiet warm so the fire did not bring us any comfort as a source of heat other than cooking.

I will have to say this campground is one of the cleanest I have seen.  The bath houses were new and decorated in a way that you would have not known you were in a campground bath house but rather in some upscale hotel.  The pool was a delight for my son who once again made friends instantly.  In fact he was only at our campsite to grab a quick bite to eat and  to sleep.  I will definitely come back here again for a longer stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment